Since being diagnosed with Type 1 (.5) diabetes a little over a year ago, one of the things I miss the most is pizza. I have been a pizza lover for as long as I can remember. There are a lot of recipes out there for low carb options but, I haven’t quite found the right one, except.. I came pretty close here the other day while googling around. I did do some changes to the original recipe and will tweak it just a little bit more the next time for (hopefully) that perfect result. I have a few trix up my sleeve 😉
Instead of using flax seed meal like the original recipe, I used ¾ cup soy protein powder and ¾ cup almond flour. As the crust got a bit dry, something I think is a result of the soy protein powder, I will do a little twist next time and see if it can moisten it up just a little. Will let you know how it goes and share the recipe if I succeed! I must say I did quite enjoy the finished product and it had little effect on my blood sugar (yay!)
This is the recipe I used this time:
- ¾ cup soy protein powder
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of Stevia or natural sweetener
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbs of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
- Mix dry ingredients first and then add wet and blend well.
- Let the dough rest for 5 minutes to thicken up a little
- Spread the dough on baking parchment with a rolling pin. (As it’s a little sticky I placed another piece of baking parchment on top and then used the rolling pin. Afterward I peeled the top layer of baking paper off and voila, it was perfect! )
- Bake the dough for 15-20 minutes or until it has been cooked through. Check after 15 min and take out if it looks done
- Add whichever toppings you have chosen and place the pizza back into the oven for the cheese to melt.
The blog where I found this recipe is my favorite one at the moment; click through for the original recipe + more here: delightedmomma